Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Pool Safety Tips
The Sheriff's Department wants to take this opportunity to remind everyone, especially children, about the importance of pool safety. Knowing the basics can not only save your life, but that of someone else in the event of an emergency.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death for children ages one to four. Drownings and injuries are highest in warm weather months from May to August.
There are simple steps you can take to protect your family when you're in and around a pool:
• Keep children within arm's reach always
• Have someone monitor the pool at all times
• Fence your pool with self-closing or self-latching gates
• Install pool and gate alarms
• Don't get into a pool unless you know how to swim
• Learn CPR
To watch a video featuring Simon the Safety Bloodhound give some important pool safety tips, go to:http://www.sdsheriff.net/simon/video-pool.html.