San Diego Mesa College will host a ceremonial groundbreaking today, Thursday, September 25th at 10 a.m.for two new buildings west of Sunrise Plaza that will mark the new “front door” of the campus.
The new, $44.3 million Mesa Commons will consist of a two-story, 60,000-square-foot building that will house campus food services, a bookstore, coffee bar, convenience store, campus stockroom, faculty/staff reprographic services, auxiliary conference rooms, and the culinary arts/culinary management program -- including a student-run restaurant and roof top garden. Funded by Proposition N, the Commons are scheduled to be complete in September 2015.
The contemporary center will include an aerobics studio, weight training room, spinning room, free weight training lab, athletic training room, a wet lab with whirlpools and icing stations to treat injuries, cardio fitness training lab, and an office suite.
Both projects feature sustainable elements and are on track to obtain a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification from the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).
These projects around Sunrise Plaza, the new hub of campus life, are funded as part of the San Diego
Community College District’s (SDCCD) $1.555 billion Propositions S and N construction bond program.
Program Speakers Include:
· Pamela T. Luster, Ed.D., President, San Diego Mesa College
· Rich Grosch, President, SDCCD, Board of Trustees
· Constance Carroll, Ph.D., Chancellor, SDCCD
· Chris Manis, Vice Chancellor, Facilities Management, SDCCD
· Professor Jan Ellis, Representing the Exercise Science Center Planning Committee
· Tiarah Tucker, Student Athlete, Women's Volleyball
· Professor Michael Fitzgerald, Representing the Mesa Commons Planning Committee
· Jesus M. Escudero, IV, President, Associated Students Government
The $1.555 billion Propositions S and N construction bond program is providing new state-of-the-art teaching and learning facilities, major renovations and campus wide infrastructure projects at City, Mesa and Miramar Colleges and seven Continuing Education campuses throughout San Diego. For more information, please visit http://public.sdccdprops-n.com.